Aww, thanks to Jane Heitman Healy, my friend, fellow writer and blogger (Read, Learn and Be Happy), for tagging me with my very first weblog award. The Liebster Award is given to up-and-coming bloggers with fewer than 200 followers. Like me! In German, Liebster means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, sweetheart, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome. Also like me!
Having never heard of the Liebster before, I was curious and ran a Google search. There is no parent site and it is not listed in Wikipedia. Every hit I found was an entry in a blog that had received the award. I don’t think it’s possible to trace back to its origin, but interestingly, the rules vary from site to site. Some simply require a thanks to the nominator and identifying three other weblogs, while others ask for thanks plus five random facts, questions answered and asked, and other weblogs. Some three of each. The invitation I received asked for eleven.
I don’t generally participate in or pass along quizzes, but I like the idea of promoting obscure weblogs, so here goes.
(Fore the record, when I wrote this, the list items were numbered. I have no idea why letters show up instead.)
1. Post 11 random things about yourself.
2. Answer the questions the nominator set for you.
3. Create 11 questions for your nominees.
4. Choose 11 other blogs with fewer than 200 followers to nominate and link them to your post.
5. No tag backs, but please leave a comment on the nominator’s post so that s/he can learn more about you and see who you nominate.
I: Random Facts
- I have been struck by lightning.
- Al Green sang a lullaby to my baby bump just ten days before I delivered my firstborn.
- I have had brain surgery.
- My first car was a Ford Pinto and one day I drove 12 members of my church youth group home in it.
- I have never broken a bone, but have had a ruptured eardrum.
- I am 101 days older than my husband.
- I like prime numbers. Such as 101.
- I do not like asparagus or Brussels sprouts, although I understand this is genetic. I don’t like lima beans either, but have nothing to blame it on other than their texture.
- One of my books is available as an iPad app.
- I was described as “indefatigable” in a reference letter from someone who is now a Missouri supreme court justice.
- I have long fingers, but short toes.
II: Jane’s Questions:
- What is your favorite book? The Complete Works of Jane Austen.
- Who is your favorite author? Jane Austen, followed closely by James Herriott and Laura Ingalls Wilder.
- What was your favorite vacation? Christmas 2011 in Vietnam visiting our daughter Hanna.
- What is your favorite song/singer/band/musical type? My favorite is jazz – Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan. But I also like 60s pop – the Beatles, Monkees, and Herman’s Hermits.
- What’s the most unusual food you have eaten? Probably spicy roasted beetles that a missionary brought to our church.
- What day of the week is your favorite? Whatever day it is.
- What is your favorite movie or TV show? Movie: The Princess Bride. TV Show: Revenge.
- Do you prefer dogs, cats, or other (if other, specify)? I have a cat and a dog and love them both. But my ideal pet is a cat, specifically a cuddly lap cat, because they are lower maintenance.
- What is something amazing about you? I got a perfect score on the logic section of the GRE.
- Do you prefer reading hard copy or online? At home, hard copy. On the road, it’s much easier to pack my iPad, especially since I can check out e-books from our library and download free books through the Kindle and Nook apps.
- How often do you use your public library? I pick up my son at the library Monday – Friday after school. I go inside once or twice a week.
III: Questions for my Nominees:
- If I had my own comic book, I would be Indefatigable Girl (see Random Fact 10/J above). What would your superhero name and trait be?
- Mac or PC?
- How long have you been keeping a weblog?
- What is your earliest childhood memory?
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- What color are the walls in your kitchen?
- What is the last movie that made you laugh out loud?
- Are you right- or left-handed?
- Do you own more scarves or pairs of shoes?
- What type of vehicle, if any, do you generally drive?
IV: My nominees:
Sorry, I am not going to be able to identify eleven more weblogs. First, I am not sure how to tell whether some blogs have fewer than 200 followers. Second, I won’t nominate a site unless I actually know the author. Third, Jane beat me to some, and I don’t want to hit them again. Finally, I have an inkling that some of my really serious blogger friends would not like being tagged.
These sites are all written by folks that I know from the Faith and Writing Workshop at Concordia Seminary last summer:
- Thinking Through My Fingers
- Craziness Uncensored
- The Kingdom of the Left
- Writer’s Cramp
- Renew a Right Spirit
V: Completed. Hi Jane!